Desmond J. Smail
+44 (0)1234 713 083
Contact

Triumph 1958 TR3A Works Rally Car

Make|Triumph
Model|TR3A Works Rally Car
Year|1958
Exterior Colour|British Racing Green
Trim Colour|Brown
Carpet Colour|Brown
Date Registered|24/04/1958
Transmission|Manual
Hand of Drive|RHD
+44 (0) 1234 240 636
PRICE £75,000
This TR3A is one of three consecutively numbered cars used by the British Army Motoring Association but supplied by and prepared by the Triumph Works Competition Department at Coventry alongside the Works team cars. The Army team led by Lt. Col. ‘Bing’ Crosby maintained their cars at R.E.M.E., Bordon Hants but returned to the factory on occasions for updating and major repair. The three Army cars VVC 288, 289 and 290, ran with 2.0 litre engines to avoid competing directly with the other ‘factory’ cars which ran with the later 2.2 litre engine.
Although all amateurs the Army team did surprisingly well with the TR3A’s and VVC 288 was arguably the most successful finishing first in class in the tough 1958 Liege-Rome-Liege Rally driven by Lt. Col. Crosby himself and Major Holmes as co-driver. VVC 288 competed again with Crosby and Holmes in the 1959 Monte Carlo and for the 1959 Liege-Rome-Liege it was crewed by two other members of the British Army team Messrs Papworth and Raper. In addition, this car was used in a number of national rallies and could possibly have competed in the 1959 Tulip and RAC rallies before being returned to Triumph in 1960.
According to the original ‘Buff’ log book VVC 288 came into the hands of Mike Hawthorne’s Tourist Trophy Garage, Farnham, Surrey in 1961 and then two other owners before coming into the possession of Mr Powell in 1967. Taken off the road in 1969 to await a re-build that never happened and apart from a brief period of being taxed in 1976 it remained in storage in its original condition under the same ownership until being discovered and sold at auction in 2003. Purchased by Sherwood Restorations for its current owner a no expense spared ground up restoration of this historically important car began. Completed in 2005 and finished in its original British Racing Green with Brown Vynide trim, a truly sympathetic restoration to bring it back to its original rally specification with the intention of it being used for exactly the same purpose!
Post restoration this historic car was competed between 2005 and 2010 mainly in the Rally of the Tests with class wins and once in the Emerald Isle Classic with a class win. Personal circumstances led the car to being retired in 2011 from serious rallying and was placed in conditioned storage until recently when it was re-commissioned for use. The car also comes with numerous spare parts.
For our latest Job Vacancies please visit the News section of this site where job descriptions for current vacancies are listed.

Sales - Showroom


13-19 High Street South
Olney, Buckinghamshire
MK46 4AA


T: +44 (0) 1234 240 636
F: +44 (0) 1234 714 745
E: sales@djsmail.co.uk